Behavioural Research Ethics Board
In February 2009, the Okanagan Campus Behavioural Research Ethics Board (BREB) commenced operations. The BREB is responsible for reviewing research that involves human subjects in procedures that require potential invasions of privacy (such as participation in questionnaires, interviews, observation, data linkage, secondary use of data, deception, testing, video and audio taping).
Any research or study conducted at UBC's Okanagan campus facilities or undertaken by persons connected to the University involving human subjects must be reviewed and approved by the BREB. Researchers will be able to access ethics applications through the Researcher Information Services (RISe) website.
Okanagan Campus BREB Membership
- Wendy Klassen, Co-Chair
- Carolyn Szostak, Co-Chair
- Susan Wells
- Carlos Teixeira
- Marvin Krank, Alternate
- Nelly Oelke, Ad Hoc Advisor
- Elizabeth Andersen
- Cristina Caperchione
- Eric Li
- Dan Ryder, Alternate Ethics Member
- Christine Schreyer, Alternate
- Nargiz Rahimova, Graduate Student Representative
- Jeremy Burgess, Alternate Legal Representative
- Henry Mainemer, Community Member
- Taryn Moore, Alternate Community Member; Legal RepresentativeWendy Petillion, alternate Community Member; Guest Reviewer for Interior Health
Meeting Dates & Application Deadlines
Full Board (non-expedited) review proposals only.
- Submit your application in RISe by midnight on the specified deadline date in order to have your application reviewed at the corresponding meeting.
- Meeting and deadline dates may change; review often.
- Remember that your application will first go to your department head for review and approval; this may add extra time to your submission. It is suggested that you submit your application at least THREE days before the deadline to allow for department review and approval.
- Proposals that meet the criteria for minimal risk qualify for expedited review and are reviewed on an ongoing basis; there are no deadlines for expedited reviews.
|Meeting Date||Deadline for Application Submission (RISe)|
|June 19||June 7|
|July 17||July 5|
|August 21||August 9|
|September 18||September 6|
|October 16||October 4|
|November 20||November 8|
|December 18||December 6|
Monthly RISe Drop-In Sessions
The Office of Research Services will be offering monthly RISe drop-in sessions. If you're looking for assistance with your RISe ethics application or need help navigating in RISe, feel free to drop by with any questions you have.
Drop-in sessions held the last Thursday of each month, 2:30-4:00pm in FIP 317. Dates are also posted on the RISe page.
Last reviewed 6/23/2017 8:25:23 AM
Lisa Shearer, Associate Manager, Behavioural Research Ethics Board