October 18, 2023
UBCO RPIF Deadline
October 11, 2023
June 16, 2023 12:00 PM
UBCO E-submission Deadline
October 17, 2023 12:00 PM
New for 2023: Individuals participating in a Discovery Horizons grant as an applicant or co-applicant cannot hold both a Discovery Grant and Discovery Horizons grant. Individuals who plan on submitting a Discovery Grant NOI for the current competition may participate in a Discovery Horizons LOI as an applicant or co-applicant. However, they will need to choose which program they wish to pursue before proceeding to the full application stage, as a full application may be only submitted to one program.
Discovery Horizons grants support investigator-initiated individual and team projects that broadly integrate or transcend disciplines to advance knowledge in the natural sciences and engineering (NSE). The Discovery Horizons program provides NSERC’s entry-point to the tri-agency interdisciplinary peer-review mechanism. It supports Discovery research projects that would significantly benefit from being assessed by a tri-agency interdisciplinary peer review committee, and aims to:
- answer NSE research questions that are best addressed through interdisciplinary approaches
- advance NSE disciplines through cross fertilization and new ways of thinking about research questions; ideas and frameworks; approaches and methods; platforms, tools and infrastructure; people, partners and trainees
- provide leading-edge NSE training for highly qualified personnel (HQP) in interdisciplinary research environments
An eligible proposal must meet both of the following criteria:
- Its primary objective must be to advance knowledge in the NSE
- It must integrate or transcend disciplines in ways that would significantly benefit from peer review by a tri-agency interdisciplinary committee
A limited number of applicants will be invited to submit a full application based on a relevance review of their LOI. Individuals are only allowed to hold or apply for one Discovery Horizons grant as either an applicant or co-applicant.
All stages of the application must be submitted through the Convergence Portal.
Proposal Development Support
For support in preparing a UBCO-led application, please get in touch with the contact below:
How to Apply
For support in preparing a UBCO-led application, please get in touch with Denise Maines
RPIFs must be received at least 5 business days ahead of the deadline (Oct 11, 2023).